Saturday, December 26, 2009

Pregnancy and Retin A cream?

Can you use Retin A cream on your face while pregnant?Pregnancy and Retin A cream?
No. Or, at least, nobody recommends it.





Sadly, nothing pregnancy-safe works quite as well, too. But there are a few things worth trying; ask your doctor first -- a lot of anti-acne preparations are less than ideal during pregnancy.





Don't panic if you've already used it a bit. This





http://www.otispregnancy.org/pdf/retin_a鈥?/a>





has some good information on it. Notably:





';Several studies have tried to find out theeffects of Retin-A on pregnancy. These studieshave not found that babies whose mothers used Retin-A during pregnancy are any more likely tohave birth defects than babies whose mothers did not use Retin-A. There have been four reports of babiesborn with birth defects after their mothers used Retin-A during pregnancy. Usually, a fewreports do not cause health professionals toworry, but the birth defects reported in these four cases are like the defects seen in babies whosemothers took Accutane during pregnancy. SinceRetin-A and Accutane are related, it is possiblethat these two medications can affect the baby in the same way. But, because many women useRetin-A during pregnancy and there are onlythese four reports, the risk for the same kinds of birth defects is probably low. However, it maybe a good idea not to use Retin-A in pregnancydue to the possible risks.';





See also:





http://www.drspock.com/faq/0,1511,8273,0鈥?/a>





which is a bit less cautious. I'm not particularly prone to worry myself, but I did stop using it before I got pregnant. Your choice, though.Pregnancy and Retin A cream?
NO! It can cause birth defect. Stop using it.
I have been researching this very same question. It seems that the literature suggest not to use it because of its close relationship to Accutane, however, the retin-a cream does not seem to, it in self, seem to be that dangerous. From personal experience, I used retin-a cream through out my entire first pregancy and had a healthy daughter. I am currently expecting my second child and can not decide if I should continue to use it, even though I had no problems the first time. My acne had just begun to clear up and I really hate to stop using this medicine. I have went one week without using it and have had more break outs this week than I have had in the last three months.





However, I am willing to do whatever it takes to have a healthy child.
Almost any doctor, midwife or pregnancy book will advise you not to use creams that contain Vitamin A because of the risk of birth defects. If you have already been using it, I wouldn't worry too much, but I would let your doctor now. If you are trying to conceive or are pregnant, I would stop immediately.





The good news is that a lot of women find their acne improves during pregnancy anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment